Thursday, February 6, 2014

Make ahead recipe #2




The second do ahead recipe is for Cheese Spread Rolls or as we have renamed it, Pizza Bread.
My earliest memory of this versatile dish is of my mom serving it for lunch in her and my dad's cabin in Crestline.  This memory is vivid, even though it is well over 40 years old.
I was making this unique tasting "pizza" on Sunday to take to a Super Bowl party.
I had made the cheese spread the day before and was assembling the individual rounds to be cooked later in the day.  A double do ahead!

Here's the recipe:

1 lb. grated sharp cheese
3 green onions (I use the white part and some of the green part of an entire bunch of green onions.)
3 or 4 chopped Italian peppers (I use at least 4, probably 6)
1/4 c. oil (I use only 1 Tablespoon olive oil, thinking the cheese has more than enough oil already.)
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
sliced olives

Mix together and spread on half French rolls or English muffins.  Place under broiler until cheese melts.

My mom used French rolls for hers, we like English muffin bottoms.
My mom used green olives, we like black.
The cheese spread can be made a week or more in advance and will wait in the refrigerator until you need it.   It can be spread onto the bread, with olives in place, a day or two ahead without compromise. Just cover and refrigerate on the baking sheets.
The English muffins pizzas can be served whole, as an entree, or sliced (using a pizza cutter) into halves or quarters, as appetizers.




These are always well received.  Give them a try, they might become one of your favorites too.

t.t.f.n. ~ Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment