Sunday, February 9, 2014

Make ahead recipe #3


This final recipe for a great "do ahead" came to me from a long time friend.  Jen and I have been friends for more than 50 years.  Some of my best recipes are written in her handwriting on vintage recipe cards.
Having food prepared, or at least started, is helpful when overnight company is staying in your home.
I don't know about you, but I don't do my most accurate cooking when talking non-stop to visiting friends or relatives.  Anything I can have prepared, and waiting in the wings, is appreciated so that I can spend more time with my guests.  I don't want to be in the kitchen measuring out ingredients when the conversation and laughter is in the living room.  This muffin batter stores in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.  Really, 6 weeks! The muffins in the photo were the last of a batch of batter I had made up before Christmas company arrived. They were as good as the first dozen I baked from this same batch when my brother in law arrived mid December.  Fresh baked, homemade muffins are a snap with this "do ahead".

Bran Muffins

Mix together:
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
5 tsp. soda

Add 4 eggs, one at a time.

Stir in:
5 cups flour
3 cups All Bran cereal 
2 cups Bran Flakes with raisins (Raisin bran cereal)
1 quart buttermilk

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

I add additional raisins.

I like that I can bake as few or as many of these muffins as I need at any time, when this batter is prepared.  Fill greased muffin tins or muffin cup papers 3/4 full and pop into the oven and get back to the talkfest.  Don't forget to set the timer!  Time flies when you're having fun.


t.t.f.n. ~ Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment