Monday, September 16, 2013

Garden veggies with pasta and reduction sauce








Using zucchini, bell pepper, tomato, kale, chard, and basil from my garden, I came up with this recipe.
I cook it in my wok.  This recipe is a little loosey-goosey, making it very easy to adjust to the seasonal vegetables available, and to your personal preferences.

3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cooked pasta  (I use whatever I have, or am in the mood for.  I have used penne, rigatoni, rotini, or spaghetti.  I cook about 8 oz. dry pasta or I use leftover pasta, if I have it.)

Zucchini
Bell pepper
Onion
Kale
Chard
Spinach
Cherry tomatoes
Snow peas
Broccoli
And/or any other of your favorite vegetables, combined to make about 4 - 5 cups.

2-3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup basil
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. vegetable or chicken broth

Saute the garlic in hot olive oil until golden, being careful not to burn.
Add the basil and cook for a minute, stirring.  Remove the garlic and basil from the wok.

Add about 1/3 of the broth to the wok and depending on which vegetables you are using, add the ones that take the longest to cook first, followed by ones that take less time.  (For me that would be the carrots first, followed by the bell pepper, and onion, followed by the kale, chard, and cherry tomatoes.) . Steam the vegetables, covering with a pot lid. Cook until crisp-tender. When all the vegetables are cooked to your liking, using a slotted spoon, remove them from the wok.  Set aside.

To the broth the vegetables steamed in, add the diced tomatoes, the cooked garlic and basil, the remainder of the broth and salt and pepper.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Reduction takes 15-20 minutes.

When sauce is nice and saucy, put the cooked vegetables and cooked pasta back into the wok, stirring to coat them with the sauce and to get them hot again.

Of course, you can easily adjust this recipe to your liking...adding more garlic, less pasta, more vegetables....

Makes about 3 servings.

I make this for my lunch, as my husband isn't big on pasta or vegetables.  It reheats well, so I cook once and have 3 delicious lunches.

t.t.f.n. ~ Carol







2 comments:

  1. I will give this one a try sometime. But how will I know when the sauce is saucy? When it has a saucish consistency?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce will be saucy when it is showing some sassy. And sassiness is in the soul of the stirrer.

      Delete